Monday, August 06, 2007

Telepathy

Monday November 18, 1985

I dreamt of watching a car crash into a telephone pole. The car was in the air and hit the pole a few feet off the ground. A section of the pole was broken out by the car, but the rest of the pole remained upright hanging by the wires. That morning at work I mentioned to a good friend that I'd had a vivid dream that morning I wanted to tell him about later.

During a slow period at work that morning my friend sat in his cubicle daydreaming. He held a pencil upright on his desk and pretended it was a telephone pole. Then he started throwing an eraser at it pretending the eraser was a car. He wondered about the fact that we have lined our streets and highways with telephone poles that are so dangerous to motorists. He thought about the possibility of designing poles that would easily break away at the bottom when struck by automobiles.


Copyright 2007 Jon Maloney

No comments: