Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Magical Fight with Demons

Sunday May 2, 1999

Some dreams have a powerful magic feel to them. The feeling of magic lingers after waking. This was one of those dreams.

I was driving slowly down a rutted dirt road, alone. I felt a strong sense of apprehension and dread. I knew I would soon have to park and walk the rest of the way. I had once been familiar with the area from hiking, but I had not been here for many years. It felt like one of the roads along the Coleman River in northeastern Georgia. The road paralleled a river along which there were frequent primitive camping areas.

I came to the place where I had to park. There was another car there, but no activity. My sense of nearby evil increased. I got out of the car and walked down the trail that led to the campsites by the river. I came to a dead black man lying on his back across the trail. His shirt was torn and his clothing was soaked in blood. Something had been eating the man. A few paces later there were two more dead black people, also bloody and partially eaten. I came to the edge of a hill overlooking a flat area by the river. I saw many more dead bodies around the campsites. Several bodies had small evil beings, demons, crouching over them, eating. One body was still intact and clothed, but its skull was bare. A demon had eaten the person's face off.

As I surveyed the scene I knew the leader of the demons was an evil being whom I had encountered many times over the eons. I scanned for him and saw him dart behind a boulder on the far side of the camping area. The lesser demons had seen me now and were staring at me in fury. They made unintelligible noises of hatred.

I knew I must act quickly before they prepared a defense. I concentrated on flying forward and upward into an acceptable attack position. I didn't know if I would be able to fly. The air felt thick and heavy. Slowly I drifted up above the demons, feeling the power of good well up within me. When I was in position and my power was at its peak, I unleashed my energy. Blue-white bolts of energy shot from me like laser beams -- one bolt at each demon. All the demons within sight were instantly destroyed. I began drifting down toward the ground as I felt my power wane. The leader of the demons flew into the air from behind the boulder. He looked like a dense, black, man-sized cloud, with an occasional glimmering skeleton visible within. He reminded me of my mental image of a balrog, from The Lord of the Rings by J. R. R. Tolkien. He cursed at me and laughed. He said we would meet again and next time I would not prevail so easily. Then he flew away into the distance.


Copyright 2009 Jon Maloney

No comments: