Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Psychically Assisted Death

February 2, 2000

In the late nineties I had a woman-seeking page on the Internet. I told about myself on the page and I described the sort of mate I was seeking. It was mostly an experiment to try to find a good match without going through the awkward and inefficient process of dating people with whom I had no compatibility. The page was up for two years or so and generated several interesting correspondences.

One such correspondent was a lady in Miami, Florida. In her second letter to me (Tuesday, February 1, 2000), the lady told me she was caring for her sick mother at home. She said her mother was dying of cancer. She said her mother's mind was gone and it would be a relief when she died.

I wrote her a response the same day (February 1), in which I offered to meditate for her mother's smooth passage into the afterlife. As I proofread my letter I realized the offer was way too far-out and presumptuous, so I deleted that paragraph from the letter. However, around midnight I meditated with the purpose of trying to help the mother make a smooth transition from this dimension into the next. I figured if the mother's mind was gone, she was severely ill, she was a burden on her daughter, and she had terminal cancer, there was no reason not to try to help her die. In a sense it felt like the daughter had reached out to me for help, so I should attempt to help if I could.

The next night (Wednesday, February 2) I received an email from the lady in Miami. She told me her mother had died that morning. She didn't say a time, and I didn't ask.

The news shook me up for awhile. Of course my meditation and the timing of the mother's death could have been a random coincidence, but I felt like my actions had influenced her death. I couldn't help but wonder if my efforts had played a part in the death, and if so, had I done the right thing? I came to the same conclusion I had before meditating. Trying to help the mother die seemed appropriate.

The only other time I had meditated to help someone die had resulted in a similarly coincidental death. I wasn't convinced my actions had directly affected either death, but it did seem possible. Years later I meditated a third time to help someone die, with the same quick outcome. I'll post that account too when I get to it in my journal.


Copyright 2009 Jon Maloney

No comments: