Monday, June 01, 2009

Intentional OBE with Experimentation

Saturday December 20, 1997

I went to bed with the intention of projecting. I lay on my back, breathed deeply, performed two cycles of progressive muscular relaxation, visualized breathing in energy and exhaling stress, and performed numerous visualizations related to projecting. After about an hour and twenty minutes I felt like I was conscious in my astral body, but my astral body still coincided with my physical body. I felt like the shift in consciousness had been successful. All that remained was to go somewhere.

I sat up in bed, threw my legs over the left side and onto the floor, and stood up. I became confused for a moment wondering if I had gotten up to go to the bathroom. Then I remembered I had been under the covers yet I had not moved the covers to get out of bed. I realized my projection attempt had worked and I was astrally projected beside my bed. I remembered Sylvan Muldoon's descriptions of being pulled back into his body by the silver cord whenever he stayed too close to his physical body. (Muldoon, Slyvan and Carrington, Hereward. The Projection of the Astral BodyLondon: Rider, 1929.)

I walked away from the bed to the far left corner of the room. I turned around and tried to stabilize my state. I could feel my labored breathing. I surveyed the room. Everything was as it should be. I was in the guest room at my parents' house in North Carolina, where I was visiting for the Christmas holidays. (In reality I was still at home in South Carolina. I had not gone to North Carolina yet.) I looked around the room, especially noticing the two antique wooden beds from the Philippines. I remembered having trouble seeing my physical body during previous projections, so I consciously focused on the bed I sleep in. There I was, lying on my back, in the right position and wearing the right clothing, except I knew my body should be under the covers. I turned and looked at the wall. I considered walking through it into the backyard. Instead, I reached up and put my hand against the wall. I remembered wanting to investigate the astral cord if I ever got the chance. Now was the time.

I reached behind my head with my right hand and moved my hand up and down feeling for a cord. There wasn't one. I moved my hand and arm up and down behind my back. There was no cord there either. I realized I didn't want to wonder later if I had somehow missed it. I wanted to be certain. I turned so that I was facing my body across the room. I intently examined the air between my astral body and my physical body. I saw no cord. Then I jumped a couple of feet into the air and watched to see if there was anything moving between my bodies. The jump occurred in slow motion. I moved up a couple of feet, floated briefly, and then slowly sank back to the floor. I saw no cord. I convinced myself that no cord was present.

I decided to walk over and examine my physical body. As I approached the bed I was surprised to see a second body lying on the floor under the bed. (The beds are high, four-poster beds, requiring bed steps to comfortably get in and out.) The body on the floor looked like mine -- same position, same clothing. I remembered reading that we have several astral bodies and each finer body can project from each coarser body. I wondered about multiple astral bodies, false awakenings, and other complexities. I wondered what would happen if I tried to project again from the astral body holding my consciousness.

I wanted to examine the two bodies more closely. I walked over and stared at my body on top of the bed. Then I leaned over and looked at the body on the floor. It was my brother! I wondered if he was projected too, but unconscious. I didn't like my brother being there. I reached down, grabbed him, and helped him stand up between the two beds. I telepathically asked him what he was doing there. Instantly the experience ended and I was wide awake in bed at my home. I think the projection had lasted for several minutes.


Copyright 2009 Jon Maloney

No comments: