Saturday, June 23, 2007

Psychometry & Psychokinesis

April 20-27, 1985

I attended an NLP modeling workshop which focused on individuals who exhibited psychic abilities. The main presenter was NLP cofounder John Grinder. Featured guests included Finbarr Nolan and Kevin Ryerson. The workshop was held in Miami, Florida. I had remarkable psychometric and psychokinetic experiences which I recorded. Psychometry is psychically sensing information about an object's past by handling the object. Psychokinesis (also called PK) is physically influencing an object by means of thought.

During the psychometric session people sat on the floor in groups. Each person put a personal object into a pile for other members of the group to read psychometrically. For my first attempt I meditated while holding a pair of feminine glasses. When I told the woman I thought owned them my impressions she didn't know what I was talking about. When I repeated my insights to the rightful owner, she said everything was correct. I had seen a stylish, modern room with lots of windows. It was very cold and snowing outside. The furniture was all in matching glass and chrome. The tables were clear glass with chrome frames. The chairs had chrome arms. The woman told me that I had described her living room. She was from Minnesota (which has snowy winters).

My second attempt at psychometry was equally successful. I was given a leather change purse to meditate on. After a few minutes, I began seeing brief scenes. First I was on a college campus at night. There were students walking on dimly lit sidewalks going from building to building. Next I saw a house overlooking a large body of water. Finally, I saw a room that was decorated very masculinely in earth tones. There were books everywhere. The room felt extremely safe and comfortable. When I found the purse's owner and related my impressions, the man was astounded. He said he was a lawyer from Maine. He taught at the local university at night. He lived with his family in a house on top of a cliff overlooking the Atlantic Ocean. Whenever he needed to get away from it all, he retreated to his library in the basement. It was his sanctuary. Its decor was as I described.

I attended a PK party hosted by Barbara Wagner. She handed out spoons and forks to everyone. She stood on a table where everyone could see her and guided us through the thought processes that would hopefully result in our utensils becoming pliable. I think everyone felt pretty silly standing around talking to their spoons. I know I did. Her guided instructions went on for several minutes. I think everyone thought nothing was going to happen. Then the son of an attendee, a boy about ten years old, succeeded. He was standing right in front of me holding a fork pointing upwards in his left hand and gently testing the tines with his right index finger. Suddenly the tine he was testing bent to about ninety degrees and then got hard again. After that everyone started succeeding at once. My spoon became soft and bent easily. I was amazed. I kept trying and bent the spoon several more times. Each time it would suddenly become soft and pliable, I would bend it with almost no force, and then it would become hard again. After the party I went to a convenience store and bought some spoons which I took back to my hotel room and bent. I have no idea how the phenomenon works. One interesting thing about spoon-bending is that the spoon only bends when you stop concentrating on bending it. You concentrate for several minutes testing the spoon a few times a minute. Then you get tired, stop concentrating, and the spoon bends. At least that's the way it worked for me. Here's a picture of some of the spoons I bent.



Copyright 2007 Jon Maloney

5 comments:

ethayer said...

What kinds of things did you say to yourself/the spoon? Did you meditate to get into the right frame of mind? Can you be more specific about the methodology that goes into spoon bending? - Thanks

Jon Maloney said...

I didn't keep detailed notes. I wish I had. I think we stood quietly and expectantly while listening to the hostess, but I don't think we tried to enter any sort of meditative state. I remember bodily movement helped. I remember walking around in circles yelling at my spoon back in the hotel room. Emotion helped too, thus the yelling. I think we said affirmations to ourselves and our utensils saying we knew it would bend, we knew we could do it, etc. We yelled commands for the utensils to bend. I think we also imagined psychic energy passing from our hands into our utensils as we visualized, walked, talked, and yelled. As I said above though, it never happened during the actual attempt, at least not for me. I had to get tired and stop trying... then the spoon would bend.

I see a comparison with my astral projection efforts. Often I would try to project every night for days, only to succeed the first night I stopped trying. In Projection of the Astral Body by Sylvan Muldoon and Hereward Carrington, Muldoon stresses the importance of what he calls the "passive Will" in astral projection. He says, "You can never force the passive Will successfully, for the instant you try to force passive Will, it becomes active Will. You must just have the desire to project so strongly within you that it produces passive Will, which in turn builds up the stress of the desire, and convinces the subconscious mind that the visions you imagine concerning projection are perfectly reasonable and possible." (p. 239, 1974 Samuel Weiser edition). It seems to me that spoon bending follows a similar process. You spend several minutes intensely trying to create the subconscious desire to bend the spoon, and when you stop actively trying, the passive will takes over and the spoon bends.

Jon Maloney said...

I performed some searches and found the following great sites with instructions, pictures, and videos.
http://tinyurl.com/yokmps
http://fork-you.com/how03.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O11PE-NrXSM

Anonymous said...

I'm a bit confused by the concept of "passive will". Muldoon, as you said, states that the desire must be strong enough that one will have a passive will developed around said goal, which in turn strengthens the desire. I see this as a paradox. How does one develop the desire to, say, move a cup of water without touching it, passively rather than actively?

Jon Maloney said...

I think the subconscious controls psychic phenomena. The subconscious will is called passive because we can't actively control it. You can't force your subconscious to do anything. When you consciously try to make something happen you are using active will, not passive will. The key is that strong active desires (conscious desires) make their way into the subconscious becoming passive desires. At some point the subconscious takes over and causes the phenomenon to occur, be it spoon bending, astral projection, or some other psychic phenomenon.