Sunday, June 24, 2007

Dream Telepathy - the Beginning

November-December 1984

I was reading The Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant by Stephen Donaldson. It was a fantasy trilogy that I really enjoyed. One day a friend told me what he had dreamt the night before. I recognized his dream as being similar to what I had read before going to sleep the same night. Several days later he mentioned another dream and again it paralleled what I had read that night. When it happened a third time I realized these were not random coincidences but some sort of dream telepathy. I began keeping a record of the occurrences.

I read of Covenant desperately seeking and climbing rocks to escape the wild vegetation produced by the "fertility sun". The same night my friend dreamt of climbing rocks amongst dense foliage.

I read of Covenant and his band trying to survive a journey through Sarangrave Flat -- a danger-filled, sentient, unwholesome swamp. The same night my friend dreamt of being in an evil swamp.

I read of Covenant and his band being held captive by the Kemper of the Keep. The Kemper was an ancient, powerful sorcerer who had built a castle in the desert. The same night my friend dreamt of being held prisoner with several others by a powerful wizard in a castle.

Copyright 2007 Jon Maloney

No comments: